Updated on: 30th October 2014
Effective from: 31st October 2014
By using our website, contacting the BSR, subscribing to Rheumatology or attending any BSR or BSR affiliated events, you are accepting the terms in this policy statement.
The information BSR collect
The BSR will only collect personal data that is relevant to the carrying out of the legitimate purposes and function of the BSR.
The BSR and any of BSR’s partners may collect and process the following information about you:
- -- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our website, subscribing to services, posting material, supplying details at an event or joining as a member. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion on our website, and when you report a problem with our website.
- -- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- -- If you leave membership, we may keep your details.
- -- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes.
- -- Details of your visits to the BSR website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data. This is used for internal intelligence gathering.
- -- Details provided through third parties including, but not limited to. Oxford University Press, National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society, British Health Professionals in Rheumatology, Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Alliance.
- -- Oxford University Press publishes the Rheumatology journal on behalf of the BSR. The BSR may obtain your details when subscribing or registering details to the Rheumatology journal. We may use your details to invite you to join BSR, to promote conferences and events organised by BSS or affiliated organisations, to provide exclusive content or to send out surveys.
Personal data about you will be collected when you contact the BSR via the website. When posting queries or requesting information, you will be required to give us certain types of personal information which may include name, address, telephone number, email address and contact preferences.
Information will be held in an environment as secure as possible. BSR employees and representatives will be responsible for ensuring that all regular data care procedures are fully and meticulously followed.
How do we use your information?
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- -- To customise content and function of the BSR website
- -- To provide you with information or services that you request from us
- -- To allow you to participate in the interactive features of our service
- -- To notify you about changes to our service
- -- To promote products, services or events to you
- -- To invite you to conferences or events
- -- To seek your feedback or offer you the chance to take part in surveys
- -- To offer you the chance to vote on BSR matters relevant to you
You have the opportunity of opting out of marketing material from the BSR and of either opting into or out of (depending on the circumstances) receiving offers and other information. This may be done by using the unsubscribe option on emails or by contact email@example.com.
When do we share information?
We do not sell your personal information to third parties.
We share your information within BSR. We also share your information with, our affiliates, our licensors, our agents, our distributors and our suppliers when it is necessary or stated.
Subject to applicable laws, we may also use your data, or permit our affiliates and/or partners to use your data, to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you.
You may notify us either in writing or by telephone, fax or email that you object to being contacted or being contacted in a particular way. If you use more than one email address to communicate with us, please notify us of each email account you use.
In the event of BSR being merged or integrated with another organisation, your details may be shared with this party once the amalgamation has been ratified.
All personal banking and/or credit card information will not be shared or disclosed. This information is not held by BSR once any payments are processed. All paper records are shredded.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our website; any transmission is at your own risk.
We will not disclose data except where the disclosure complies with the requirements of the DPA, or, where relevant, statutory guidance issued by the Information Commissioner's Office ("the ICO"). Data sent to outside agencies to process on BSR’s behalf must always be protected by a written contract.
In the event of unlawful use of the website or any other BSR communications, we reserve the right to pass on your details in order to take action against such behaviour.
You agree to the use of your personal data or other personal data you have provided to us for the above purposes. If we wish to use your personal data or other personal data you have provided to us for new or different purposes, other than for which it was originally supplied, we will request your written permission first. We take seriously the trust you place in us.
The BSR website
When you email us please remember that the content of your email is not secure and could be intercepted. Accordingly, please keep the amount of confidential of personal information to a minimum and we will do likewise when we reply.
Updating your details
Members seeking to update their details should email firstname.lastname@example.org. Any other individuals seeking to change their details should email email@example.com.
Subject access rights
Under the Data Protection Act 1998, we have to provide you, as a 'data subject' with a readable copy of all personal data which we may hold about you, within 40 days of receiving your written request for us to provide it. The Data Protection Act 1998 allows us to charge a fee of £10 for this. Evidence or proof of your identity (for example, a copy of your passport, driver's license or current bills) will be required.